Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Buttery Goodness Schnitzel

Okay, I still follow the general recipe from my German cookbook my wonderful mother-in-law gave me, but I made a few modifications this time around! I will say I do not make any sauce with my schnitzel, and I had intended to saute onions but just forgot to.

Ingredients:
Pork Chops (we used thick cut sirloin chops, and I did not tenderize them)
Flour
2 eggs + 2 tbsp water, lightly beaten together
Breadcrumbs
4-5 tbsp butter
Seasoning

Salt both sides of your pork. Put your flour (at least 1 cup, but again, I don't measure) on a plate or sheet of wax paper. Same with your breadcrumbs. Season your flour (I used my go to seasonings, paprika and garlic salt. Not too German, but hey, it was good!). I also seasoned my breadcrumbs, just enough to smell the seasoning lightly over the breadcrumb smell. Dredge your pork in flour on both sides, then dip in egg. Dredge them in the breadcrumbs. Let rest 15-30 minutes. At the end of the rest time, melt you butter in a medium-large skillet over medium heat. Fry your chops until golden brown on each side, about 4-6 minutes. You want to fry your chops in batches. If you are doing a lot of chops, set them in an oven heated to 200-250 degrees to keep them warm. I do suggest adding more butter for each batch you fry to prevent them from burning.

The flavor should be a delicious, buttery taste. Your chops should come out a beautiful golden brown color. Ours had a slightly salty taste that we felt really played well off of the buttery taste. James said his Oma and Opa would have loved them, and he's not one to butter me up when it comes to cooking. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment