Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Flavoring Up Cheap Pasta Sauce

Okay, so when I get groceries, I shop on a budget. I spend between $80-$100 a month on basic groceries to feed a family of 4. We spend about $50 every 6-8 weeks on meat. That is without coupons, so I know we could end up saving more if I did use coupons. That said, when I buy pasta sauce, I buy whatever is on sale or is the cheapest. Normally, that means we keep Ragu on hand. I've found that their Alfredo sauce is extremely and horribly bland and lifeless. Blah. So I wanted to flavor it up last night for our baked spaghetti!

Take one jar of Alfredo sauce, shredded cheese, and seasonings. Last night I shredded Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar cheeses. Mix the Alfredo sauce and the shredded cheese together. I think I had a half cup of sauce and close to a cup of each cheese. Add seasonings. I opted for Oregano, Thyme, and Garlic Salt. I poured it over the spaghetti and mixed it all together, then baked it. However, you can also put it in a medium pot and cook it on medium heat, stirring constantly, until an even sauce results.

My mom does not like Ragu (bland and flavorless), but she said she thoroughly enjoyed the flavors last night. And she's not one to just smile and eat something if it's not that good. Both my kids devoured most of their adult-sized helpings (gotta love growth spurts!), and my husband literally asked me what brand the sauce was that I had used. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment