Wednesday, May 20, 2015

How do I do it?

Last night at bowling, I got asked by a teammate and her mom how I do it. How I can manage a child with very specific needs outside of what typical kids need, plus Melanie's needs. I was then asked what problems Mady has.

Where do I start?

How do I manage a child with specific needs? One day at a time. Each day is a fresh start. Will it always be sunshine and daisies? Oh heavens no. So many days are a struggle once his medicine wears off. Like, go outside and cry when I hit my wall. But, there are so many incredible moments that I get to share. So many triumphs he makes. Things that parents of a typical child would not see as being a big deal. He's trying new foods since he's been in Food Therapy. And not just new foods, but mixed foods. That's HUGE. He's so generous with his sisters when he's in a good mood. He's beyond creative, and can be so engaging. He loves his daddy and looks at him with so much awe. So how do I manage it? With love, and the mindset that each day is a fresh start.

How do I manage Melanie's needs? Because, quite frankly, I have no other choice. If your child was diabetic and needed insulin, you wouldn't give her sugar unless it was crucial. I read every label on every item we purchase. Not because I want to, but because she relies on me to do that for her.

The question about Mady caught me off guard. Yes, she's ADHD. However, as long as she's not had a ton of processed foods, her ADHD is naturally managed. It's amazing what full on homecooking and lots of fruits and veggies does for managing hyperactivity!

So how do I do it? Because I'm their mother. Because I have no other choice. Because they 100% deserve the best I can give them. Because I 1000% love my children beyond a shadow of a doubt. That's how.

No comments:

Post a Comment