Sunday, May 10, 2015

Food Restriction Cooking

So, if Melanie cannot eat dairy, what do our meals look like?

Pastas
- noodles
-seasoning (we love using garlic salt!)
- olive oil
- meat

Meatloaf (always popular in our house!)
- ground beef
- breadcrumbs
- ketchup
- eggs
- seasonings

We do lots of beans, veggies, and fruits.

We just did a stir fry the other night that was a major hit!

Pork Stir Fry
- pork chop, cut up
- rice noodles
- peanuts
- green beans
- diced carrots
- soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp Madras curry (the only spice I actually measure out! lol)
- some garlic

That's all! Adair typically does not eat mixed foods. It's like pulling teeth. And then you put something in front of him that's new? Yeah, that's typically a no-go. We got him to try this meal though!

Breakfasts:

Melanie LOVES egg cups. I mean, LOVES. I make a dozen at a time, and she will go through all of those in a week. I also make her muffins with her almond milk, and she's a huge fan of pancakes and waffles. We have noticed that she can tolerate some baked goods with milk in them, but they have to be in serious moderation.

The thing I love the most about the cooking changes is the way my kids eat. Adair's favorite after school snack is raw carrots. Mady has always been my fruit kiddo. She will go through a pint of berries (any type) in one sitting if I let her. Melanie constantly wants things like green beans or raw broccoli. It's incredible to me to see my kids going for such healthy choices.

The munchkins do still love cheese. I'm so grateful that we have been able to find vegan cheese for her. It stinks in my opinion, but it's dairy free, soy free, casein free (which is what she's allergic to), and lactose free. It allows us a little freedom for cooking, plus being able to do sandwiches for her.

I'm working on writing down the recipes I cook. Most of them are "Oh hey, this needs to be used before this veggie goes bad. Wonder how I can use it? Oh, this sounds like it might work!" Seriously, that is my daily thought process now with cooking! And somehow, it seems to pull together really well at the end of cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment